Thursday, July 28, 2011

Body of Christ

Medical Update:
- The nug just got cleared to do either bottle or breast for 2 out of 3 feedings ... this is a huge step towards her coming home! I did spirit fingers in the NICU when they told me.
- She has started this new thing where she won't poop without a suppository. This needs to end ... now. So we are praying for sister to deuce it up.
- She has pretty much plateaued with her oxygen. Pray that she will get weaned down!

Oh, and Josh wants you to stop asking how the baby is -- it feels to him like a reminder that his baby is in the hospital. If you read this blog, then you know everything there is to know. (You are still more than welcome to ask me).

"Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ. For we were all baptized by one Spirit so as to form one body—whether Jews or Gentiles, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink. Even so the body is not made up of one part but of many ...
  The eye cannot say to the hand, “I don’t need you!” And the head cannot say to the feet, “I don’t need you!” On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has put the body together, giving greater honor to the parts that lacked it, so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.
 Now you are the body of Christ, and each one of you is a part of it." 
Selections of Corinthians 12, emphasis added
I can't even begin to explain everything I am learning about the beauty of the this passage and the way that it plays out. The body of Christ -- both near and far -- has embraced us, cared for us, and lifted us up beyond our wildest dreams. I can't even begin to count the number of people who have prayed for us and our girl. We get little gifts in the mail from people who want to bless us; nevermind the fact that they barely know us. People have given us food, gas, clothes, a clean house -- everytime I turn around I am moved to tears by the way that people are pouring the generous love of Christ on us! 
For example, I recieved this message on facebook a couple of days ago [FYI -- 12Stone Village is the preschool ministry at our church]:

Hi Emily,
I'm sure the past few weeks have been quite emotional for you. I just wanted to give you an update on something that 12Stone Villagers have been working on this week.
The two of us collecting met you a couple of weeks ago before the 1pm service with Lauren Wilkins. It is amazing to me how God can just show us things we need to do. The two of us had been reading your blog but to see you kind of brought it full circle with us.
Today at 12Stone Village we had a little collection called "it takes a village" (original - right?). We have collected quite a bit of money, a small scale to weigh your precious one when she is home and some clothes, cards, and prayers. I am in awe of the generosity of those at our church. It is truly inspiring and I honestly believe that people want to do good things, but also want something close to home. Your little family is PERFECT!!
God is good and he continues to show that in more ways than I can count. Thank you for letting us be a part of your family's life and for letting us help. I truly believe God brings people in our lives and as PK said in one service, You can't help everyone, but you can help the ones you come in contact with. Thank you again for letting us share your happy times and for sharing your emotions with us no matter how up or down they may be. You and Josh are amazing and we can not wait to have Nixie running the halls at 12Stone!

Can you believe that? Awesome, eh?

God has been faithful to meet my needs before I even speak them ... even for things as small as coffee. 
It has been such a humbling season for me. Just ask my parents ... "I do it myself" were pretty much the first words out of my mouth. I don't think independence is a bad thing, but I know that I have worn my self-reliance as a crown on my head, thus fostering an extremely toxic breed of pride. My two years in Georgia have just been one long, hard lesson on how little I can accomplish on my own. God has broken me to remind me that I need him and forced me to see the beauty in allowing others to care for me when I cannot care for myself. 
Thank you so much for the way that you have all been involved in this strange season of our lives ... we really feel blessed by the way that everyone has carried our burden with us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment